Salman Rushdie attack suspect pleads guilty to attempted murder

The question was raised on Wednesday by New York PostA skeptical Hadi Mather said to herself “SurpriseSalman Rushdie survived the attack.

The suspect in the attack on Salman Rushdie pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and assault in a Mayville court in New York on Thursday (August 18).

Hadi Mather, 24 years oldSalman Rushdie, the writer, was stabbed with a knifeSatanic VersesDuring a convention in the nearby town of Chautauqua on Friday, August 12. The suspect, who was arrested immediately after the fact, had already pleaded not guilty during a formal hearing on Saturday. Head down, hooded, handcuffed and dressed in a black-and-white-striped prisoner’s outfit, Hadi Mather spoke through her attorney’s voice Thursday, Aug. 18. The judge chose to hold the suspect without bond. At an earlier hearing, prosecutors said the attack was premeditated. His attorney, Nathaniel Baron, told his client Thursday that “fair trial» and respectPresumption of innocence».

Also see – Attack on Salman Rushdie: Iran deniesDefinitely» Any contact with the attacker

The question was raised on Wednesday by New York PostHadi Mather, who claims to have contacted him in prison, told himself “SurpriseSalman Rushdie survived the attack. The 75-year-old British author was stabbed a dozen times and airlifted to hospital, briefly put on a ventilator before his condition improved. Hadi Mather did not say whether he was inspired by a 1989 fatwa issued by Ayatollah Khomeini from Iran, calling for the author’s death and calling his book “Satanic VersesIt was considered blasphemous. He just explained New York Post want”Respect for the Ayatollah».

«I don’t like him. I don’t think he’s a good person“, had sent the suspect to a tabloid about intellectuals. “He is an attacker of Islam“, he added. Watching the teacher’s videos on YouTube, he found it “hypocrite“, he continued. Hadi Mather came backexchange» And a trip to his family’s native Lebanon in 2018 sparked more religious interest, his mother said on the website Monday. Daily Mail.

Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, issued a fatwa in 1989 calling for the assassination of Salman Rushdie, who had lived under police protection for years. Ayatollah Khomeini’s fatwa against the author was never lifted and many of his translators came under attack. After three days of silence, Iran on Monday denied any involvement in the attack and blamed Salman Rushdie. “In this attack, only Salman Rushdie and his supporters deserve blame and condemnation“, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Khanani ruled.

Salman Rushdie, who lived in New York for twenty years, became an American citizen in 2016. Despite the threat, he continued to satirize and defend himself in his books, making frequent public appearances. Disrespect. In an interview with a German newspaper severe A few days before Friday’s attack, he said to himself “optimistic“And believed:”Since I live in America, I don’t have any problems (…) My life is back to normal.Hadi Mather is scheduled to appear in court again on September 7.

See also  Much of Europe is affected by the heat wave

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.